donderdag 10 juli 2014

My favourite movie: 1- One True Thing

'So... Meryl Streep, you said?' he looked over to me, slightly raising his left eyebrow.
'What's your favourite movie?'

Probably the second  question asked when your Streep obsession -everybody obviously knows about because of the quotes you post on Facebook (don't deny it)- is brought up in the conversation, after of course, the question: 'Why her?'. You start yawning, thinking, scratching your hair, letting out a groan and eventually you say: 'I love all her movies!'.
Wrong answer. You didn't love all her movies, you loved the idea that Meryl Streep was in it.
Obviously, I can't keep it to just one movie. The Iron Lady, The Bridges of Madison County, Out of Africa, Adaptation, The Hours, It's Complicated, Sophie's Choice, Kramer vs. Kramer or The Deer Hunter and many many more, I loved them all. But honestly, I do have a number one (blame me) and that would be One True Thing. A movie lots of people didn't know, compared to The Devils Wears Prada or Out of Africa which everyone knows. 'Huh? One True Thing? Are you sure that's Meryl Streep because I've seen all of her movies!' is what many people answer.                
Wrong answer as well.


Why One True Thing? Okay, the general opinion from Streepers who've seen it: 'Never! I'm devastated! I can't see Meryl die! No! I cried during three weeks every time something made me even think of One True Thing!'. I've been through that as well, believe me. Yet, that  movie, the beautiful script, the absolutely incredibly acting of Renee Zellweger, William Hurt, Tom Everett Scott, the whole cast, Franklin's directing, Bette Midler's One True Friend being such a beautiful soundtrack,  make this movie perfect to me.  I'm not mentioning Meryl's flawless acting. Oops. Maybe I did.


I think it's just beautiful and emotional to see the long way mother and daughter - Kate and Ellen Gulden- make to come closer to each other. And during that walk, Ellen realizes that her mother is not just a silly housewife, she's so, so, so much more. I don't want to bring up the Oscar-issue, it's not really important, yet I just have to say that, objectively: Meryl deserved an Academy Award for this interpretation.


So, I had been through quite a One True Thing obsession, during which I bought the novel, by Anna Quindlen, which, on the other hand, led me to an Anna Quindlen obsession. Her writing is beautiful. So vivid, so poetic, beautiful descriptions and comparisions, incredible stories, very emotional.


Finally, to end this post, I have a question for you: why did George Gulden (the father) cheat on his one true thing, his wife, the woman he truly loved? Why did he? What do you think?
--> By the way, about commenting, I know you can't comment without an account, so if you have one: don't hold yourself and comment ;) if you don't, maybe you have a Livejournal account or so, or you can always let me know something on my twitter account: @Mrs_Blixen

"Thank you for the world so sweet.Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing.Thank you, God, for everything." 


I found the gifs on Tumblr.
These are not mine, thank you to
the person making them. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten