woensdag 16 juli 2014

La Tarte Tatin!

Okay so the pie is a huge failure. A dishonor to the art of cooking. A shame and an embarrassment. Guess what? It didn't turn out like I had hoped! But to be honest, I don't really care. At least I tried! *goofy smile*
At the moment I'm listening to the Winner Takes it All, which perfectly describes my feelings with the pie.


Ingredients:
* 8-10 Golden Delicious apples (I just took... you know apples...)
*200 g butter
*300 g sugar
*puffy pastry, selfmade or just like I did: bought in the grocery store. (I'm so sorry, I know it's a shame.)



So the first defeat: I didn't use Julia Child's recipe... Great beginning! I didn't understand a thing of it, so I used the Larousse Gastronomique, which isn't that bad since Julia Child had it too! I mean, it could have been worse, no? Anyway, I opened the Larousse and after reading it seven times in a row I actually understood it.





Peel eight to ten apples and cut into eight parts. Cut the tips of the apple parts. Yes, uptill now everything is alright, I'm following, everything is going great.


Cover the sides and bottom of a copper pan with a mixture of 300 g butter 200 g sugar. I checked at least thirty thousand eight hundred and fifty two times if it wasn't 200 g butter and 300 g sugar.
I don't know if that went well: I put the butter in the microwave to melt, I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that.


Put a first layer of apples in the pan with the ends against the border. Then a second and a third layer.
Note: don't forget to put the ends against the border, I forgot it and believe me it doesn't look like a Tarte Tatin when you don't do it, so I suggest you read your recipe better than I did.


Set the pan over moderately high heat and wait until the butter-sugar mixture comes up foaming and with a light color. That may take about twenty to thirty minutes.

Let the content rest for eight hours. So, I suggest that when the Larousse says you have to let it rest for eight hours, you f*cking listen to what the Larousse says. I'm speaking from experience.

The next day you put a puff pastry above the pan.
a) I know, I'm ashamed, I actually bought the pastry and didn't make it myself.
b) Now that you're here, and I'm giving you suggestions of what you better not do: I also suggest you put the pastry IN the pan, and not just above it. As you see I didn't put it IN the pan okay, don't do it like I did!


Put the pan in the oven for about twenty minutes at 180 °C.

Let the pie cool. Also: when there is written to let the pie cool, let the damn pie cool because: "these damn things are as hot as a stiff cock", quoting Julia Child, you know.


Last but not least: the flipping of the pie.
I have absolutely no tips to flip the pie, not that I have actually given you any advice, I just told you what to not do. Just take the pan and flip it on a plate.
TADA.



So, yesterday I tasted it, and let's say it wasn't that good. This morning I tasted it again and it was much better. So let the pie rest for eight hours, I'm sure you won't regret.






Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten